Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Never Enough

One of the hardest things has got to be getting used to seeing the faces of the kids, and even the adults, when it turns out there just isn't "Enough."

It happened yesterday as we gave 0ut bags of food. It repeated itself today as we gave out new underwear to the children and t shirts for the race this afternoon. It happens every time I attempt to hand out candy to the children and of course in a place like this it happens when not every child has a happy home to return to at the end of the day. Here, there never seems to be enough.


Never enough food.

Never enough medicine.

Never enough desks.

Never enough shoes or underwear or bicycles or ... Well just about everything.

The other day I asked my running buddy Davis what size his shoes are. He replied "I don't know, whatever I'm given." Never enough.

But then there are wonderful stories of sharing out of "Never Enough." Our fantastic friend- Iliador, whom I've known since 2008 just recently married a lovely woman. He came to take Bob and myself to meet his wife and see his home. And with great pride, this young man, that has always been polite, kind and welcoming every moment I've known him walked us through his two room house just 5 minutes from the school.

They have a beautiful hand carved solid wood bed and a small boom box on the bedside table. He guided us through with a small oil lamp to the front room that held a beautiful hand carved table and small black and white television. And on the front steps we met the woman who has quite possible raised the most handsome and respectful young men in all of Haiti. She was quietly ironing the clothes on an old table with a cast iron iron heated solely with charcoal.

As I was telling her ( or trying to) what a gift her sons are Iliador sent his new bride to buy us all his favorite fruit- mango batiste. And once again I thought to myself that out of what many would seem to think is "Not Enough" Iliador gave a gift that was more than ever before "Enough."

I'm pretty sure that's happend before... With loaves and fishes by a sea, with wine at a wedding, with oil in a lamp and with a God that loves so much that He gave His only Son. You may sit over there and say you don't have "Enough" but from my star filled and breezy night here in Terrier Rouge... I look around and know with all my heart that somehow through the work of one phenomenal Episcopalian priest named Pere Bruno and one amazing God... Somehow it will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment