Saturday, January 12, 2013

we are here

well...we re here. and i'm going to ask you to be patient with me as our Internet has been sketchy at best. Yesterday was a long day. From all the excitement of planning and packing and getting ready to leave I somehow neglected to remember that we were to spend the entire night NOT sleeping at the Ft Lauderdale airport. But nonetheless we were on or way. And IBC ( which I know now stands for "Internal Breakfast Coming up..." Was our adventure for the day. To start they planted calm, cool and collected under pressure Carrie next to the emergency exit, no worries, right? Planes never crash! But when the engines roared so did the vibration from the exit as the frame was not attached to the plane. That's a comforting thought on a plane that had to weigh its passengers to determine who could and could not make this trip. But when the 12 year old pilot ( ok, maybe 14) came back to check he offered me duct tape and said it should quiet down once the pressure increases in flight. Well, that's definitely comforting. So, we fist bumped it out ( after he declined my offer to drive) and we were on our way to the Bahamas. Yup... The Bahamas baby, for a fuel stop whee we learned that we had to line up carefully throughout the plane for the restroom, lest we tip the plane. And on to Haiti... With more turbulence and shaking than I want to remember, even my mom said that wAs the hardest she had ever prayed... And she raised me! By landing time I was done. I held the vomit bag in one hand and my head in the other as Elmer just watched and swallowed his jokes and smart remarks. I was ready for some fresh air, but that too was not gonna happen. As I hobbled down the ladder to what can only be described as a strip of asphalt in the midst of sugarcane fields and Haitian huts I breathed in the deep and heavy charcoal filled air of my beloved Haiti. I was home. So the plane ride was a little more adventure than we planned for and the ride to Terrier Rouge gave the Haitians a laugh as I painted the side of the road with what was left of breakfast. Even with a nauseous stomach and headache from lack of Dr Pepper I was glad to see my friends and to be remembered. What a place this is and what a blessing these people are!

No comments:

Post a Comment