Saturday, January 7, 2012

Why Haiti?

People always ask me "Why Haiti? There are plenty of homeless children here on our doorsteps.  Why Haiti?"  And just a few hours ago my son, Jacob, age 12, sat down on my bedroom floor admist my packing and asked me "Why do you have to go?"  I paused and answered him and all of those who wonder.

Each one of us is called in a different way.  There are politicians that are called to put together programs and policies that will hopefully protect and do right by our children here in the States.  There are humanitarian efforts such as Habitat for Humanity, FISH, Domestic Abuse organizations, the list can go on, many of which I support financially, prayerfully and with my time and talents.  Regardless, there will always be someone who falls through the cracks. 

 In Haiti, there is nothing.  There is no welfare to fall back on.  There is no Habitat for Humanity to help build a house out of what is now only a makeshift tent in downtown Port au Prince.  There is no communitiy food bank.  There is no free clinic.  There are those few that choose to serve and try to catch those that fall through the cracks.

To the right is a picture of a young girl from last years' trip.  We raised $3000 and distributed food to the far reaches of northeast Haiti.  We saw the weak and elderly, stooped from malnutrition and barefoot in the dirt hobble forwards for a small bag of food.  And this girl stood on the side watching...  She stood in her ripped hand-me-down shirt and what remains of a ladies silky slip. Her hands defiantly and strongly placed on her hips and her belly protruding from worms and malnutrition.  Upon closer examination, you can even see her hair tinged red at the roots, a sure sign from the doctor on the trip that starvation has begun taking it's final toll on her all too young body. Her eyes are strong and her features are certain that she deserves better than this.   She's probably my Isabelle's age - 8 and may not be there when we return, who knows. 

Tony Tedeschi and I will take her picture back because she weighs heavily on our minds.  Pere Bruno has promised to help us find her... somewhere and somehow. And when we do, we will do all that we can to make a difference. When I say a prayer and thank the Lord for the food in front of me and the health surging through my own bones, I remember her.  When Isabelle says "I'm starving" ... I remember her.  When Jacob complains about the taste of his medicine... I remember her.  How can you not? 

Why Haiti?  Because it's in my bones and blood now.  In less than 48 hours I will revisit the pieces of my heart that I left there beginning in 2008.  Because someone needs to tell their story, lest we forget.  I will pray that my little efforts make a big difference. 

A great man told me a story once.  A child was found on a beach littered with starfish, thousands upon thousands of them lay dying on the sand.  One by one, the little child picked them up and threw them back into the ocean.  As a gentleman came by he asked quite simply, "Why?  You can't possibly save them all."  To which the little child responded as he threw another one back into the water " I made a difference to that one."

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me...  ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’   Matthew 25, selected verses.


Even now as I sit in the comfort of my own family room with an ice cold Dr. Pepper beside me and the sounds of happy children outside, I weep for those that I'll see and those that I won't and I covet your prayers for strength and a safe trip.  Many blessings to you and yours.

Carrie

1 comment: